22 Quick Questions for Jungle Castle Rock Apocalypse
July 27, 2013
I don’t remember the last time I participated in a blog meme, but Mr. Justin Davis gave a shout-out to Jungle Castle Rock Apocalypse yesterday [fist bump, Justin!], so I’ll join in on this little parlor game of his…
- What’s the deal with my village’s particular Rite Of Passage?
Depends which village you are talkin’ about…what its shortage and surplus is. Roll…rolll…roll. Let’s say you are in the mountain village, which has a food shortage and a surplus of fertility. Oh my! Reroll…reroll…reroll…
- Which way to the nearest tavern?
Definitely “The BAR” in the Castle on the Rock. Is it worth joining the Phantom Soldiers just for the booze? Hmm, maybe.
- Where do we buy useful gear?
“Buy” “useful” “gear”? Ha, you need to find it out in the Apocalypse Jungle.
- Where do we repair / reload / refuel these artifacts?
The villages sometimes have tinkersmiths, but their idea of repair is often just ritualized manipulation, very little technical knowledge involved. So it’s a gamble.
- Where do we get some high-tech healing?
Definitely the nano-electrolytic healing capsule in the buried submarine.
- Where do we fix our resident android / robot?
There’s a auto-bot repair garage in the underground bunker-city (aka Clown Robot Doctor Apocalypse), but it’s not exactly easy to get to and sometimes their repair work results in MUTANT BOTS.
- Say, what IS the local currency / medium of exchange, anyway?
Barter, all the way. The Phantom Soldiers are amassing a treasure hoard, so maybe when they establish their jungle kingdom of tyranny, they will create currency with images of General Li, so as to reinforce the cult of personality.
- Are there any infamous ruins / vaults / laboratories / installations around where sane mutants fear to tread?
- Where is the closest contaminated zone to idiotically try for powerful new mutations?
The Lands of Devastation are you destination for spiritual strengthening and mutation permutations.
- Where do we get cures for the following conditions: toxin, radiation, infection, lousy new mutations, nanobot infestation, corrupted databanks, broken cybernetic implants?
The Health and Happiness Administrators are a faction of Orwellian doctors and nurses that control a fantastic array of medications in the underground bunker-city.
- Are there any cults / gangs / cryptic alliances I can join and / or fight?
The Survivors. The Virgin Jungle Force. The Jwarves. The Gorillas. The Phantom Soldiers. Within the Phantom Soldiers are The Inner Circle, Dude’s Gang, and Sarsi’s Cult.
- Where can I hire mercenaries?
Major Dude in the Castle on the Rock is the mercenary ring-leader.
- Where can I find a technician, lorekeeper, psychic, or other expert NPC?
The Gorilla Padre is your best bet. He appears under mysterious circumstances in whichever village or gorilla pack territory you happen to be visiting.
- Where do I find a mighty mutant monster mount?
Barkrunners are great rides, found in the perilous Lands of Devastation.
- Who is the greatest warlord in the wasteland?
General Li. He wears football pads, mirror lenses on his blastmask, and a machete instead of a hand on his left arm. Other than that, he’s like Klaus Kinski.
- Who is the craziest Artificial Intelligence in the wasteland?
Deep in the Tunnels under the Rock is a comm center with resident AI. It is clinically crazy.
- Who is hoarding all the gasoline in the wasteland?
A sentient splash of sinister solvent hoards itself in the Tunnels. Its only natural predators are the Burn Barrels…angry canisters of incendiary anger.
- What critters are sufficiently terrorizing the wasteland that if I kill them, I become famous?
The Trirannosaurus Xes.
- Are there any wars brewing I could go fight?
The Phantom Soldiers are becoming too powerful and soon the other factions may unite against them. The Resistance needs a leader. Will you be “The One”?
- How about gladiatorial arenas complete with hard-won glory and fabulous artifact prizes?
The mutant gladiators are the top entertainment attraction at the Castle on the Rock.
- Is there anywhere on the map where certain races are shunned, mutations / artifacts are outlawed, and / or other The Powers That Be significantly hassle the PCs?
The Virgin Jungle Force can be rather protective of their pristine forests.
- Are there means to journey into space, or under the sea, or through the dimensional barriers?
Rumor says the Phantom Soldiers are trying to build a space ship called “The Paradise Express”. Also, there is a huge downed aircraft deep in the jungle that may have a malfunctioning teleportation device, among other things.
There is no question #23, but if there were, this would be the answer: